Sunday, December 19, 2010

Yet another post on healing

What healed you this year? Was it sudden, or a drip-by-drip evolution? How would you like to be healed in 2011?





I feel like this is something I've written about several times before. Are you getting tired of hearing about my healing? I hope not...I write about these deeply personal things in hopes that it will make someone feel less alone and inspire others to heal as well.


Found this picture here.
I didn't make this picture but I can surely relate to it.

I've actually been in and out of therapy for the past 16 years. 16 years! Yet somehow my life has continued to be defined by panic attacks and serious bouts of sadness.

It hasn't been until my most recent experience with therapy that I have actually started to address and fix the issues that cause me to panic. I found this therapist about a year and a half ago and I have done more healing in that time period that I have done in my entire life.

I still have a long way to go!

Good therapy, in my experience, is the mental equivalent of ripping open a deep wound, irrigating out the bacteria, and stitching it back up. In other words: it's painful but so, so productive and healthy. Right now, I am in the part of the process where we are irrigating. I'm feeling more pain before I can feel less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment