Monday, December 13, 2010

Great, I voted. Now what?

When it comes to aspirations, it’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen. What’s your next step?






Hey, here's another topic that I've been wanting to write about for a while but have been struggling to put it into words. Thanks, reverb!

I was spurred into thinking about this after election day this year. I felt proud and satisfied that I had taken the action to vote (and voted early, too!)

I felt this way until I saw the results on election night. Not only was the governer I had purposefully voted against elected, but the proposition to legalize medical marijuana had been rejected, so I couldn't even take anything to ease the pain.*** I realized at this time how little voting actually does.

My dissapointment, however, goes beyond just election results. It is a pervasive feeling that grows every time I listen to the news and hear about how little is accomplished by the government. I regularly feel that problems and issues continue to grow for the majority of American citizens while the small group of people who represent us fight like children and accomplish very little.

I feel helpless. I feel that I should be able to have more power to change those issues that affect me. So, since election day, I've been searching for options. What can I do to have greater political power? How can I change my city and my country for the better? How can I bring about the positive change that I want to see?

I haven't yet found a clear answer. There is always protesting, petitioning, and writing letters to senators. But I want more! What can I do directly?

*This was a joke. I do not actually smoke marijuana.
**The proposition later passed by 300 votes.
***I still can't smoke marijuana because I don't have a medical condition that causes chronic pain. So I'm back to "square 1."

2 comments:

  1. Adding insult to injuy, the government employees,except the military, both elected or appointed have a lucrative lifestyle that is far above their level of contribution to the welfare of the middle class (less) citizen. So much for the complaining. Just keep on writing, I am reading and when the revolution begins we can both be in the forefront. Hugs and Love..ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, such cynicism :) I have been thinking about how I can use my blog for action as well, and I am working to be more politically aware and educated. I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with just waiting around for the revolution, though. Maybe I should start it!

    ReplyDelete