Saturday, December 18, 2010

Try or Do Not Try. There Is No Bucket List: Pt. One

What do you want to try next year? Is there something you wanted to try in 2010? What happened when you did / didn’t go for it?






This prompt sounds suspiciously like making  New Year's Resolution or a Bucket List...both of which I am against. Yet I still really like this prompt because I am contstantly making lists in my head of new things I'd like to try and accomplish.

This got a little long so I'm doing it in two parts. The first is 2010:

In 2010 I tried:
  • Biking to work
  • Living with my boyfriend
  • Going to a real yoga class
  • Literacy Tutoring
  • Cactus fruit
  • Geocaching
  • Hosting a Girls' Night
  • Maintaining a blog
  • Meet Me At Maynard's
  • To win an adult spelling bee
  • To take more control over my emotions and attitude
  • To get out of the group home where I worked
  • To stop having panic attacks
  • Making candy
I can't say I regret trying any of those things. Every single one had a positive outcome or taught me something. The simple act of trying was often enough to boost my self esteem and help me to grow.

Things That I Wanted to Try But Didn't
  • Real CouchSurfing
  • Reading aloud at a poetry slam
  • Performing duets with Paul
  • Traveling alone
  • Initiating a conversation with an interesting looking stranger
A lack of trying has bred regrets and a little guilt, as well as lengthy thoughts about what could have happened if I had gone for it. As I grow braver and stronger over the next year I'd like to have less regrets and more experiences. Which brings me to Part Two:

1 comment:

  1. I have so many good things to say about traveling alone and Couchsurfing, so I hope 2011 enables you to experience that. I certainly shared some of your efforts in 2010 and it is comforting and enlightening to read your words.

    ReplyDelete