Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Short Reflection on Community for Dec. 7

Community Prompt: Community. Where have you discovered community, online or otherwise, in 2010? What community would you like to join, create or more deeply connect with in 2011?







To be honest, I think I broke away from more communities in 2010 than I joined. I have a noticeably smaller social life right now than I did in the beginning of the year. Part of this is because many of my friends have moved away, part is because as 20 somethings we are all moving in different directions, and a small part of this breaking away from communities is by choice.

Earlier in the year I struggled with a fear of being alone because so many of my friends moved away or got deeply involved withother aspects of their lives. You might say I even panicked a little. After a few months of anxiety, however, I learned that worrying is counter productive and I might as well make the most of my time alone. That, I feel, is something that I have been accomplishing within the last few weeks.

In 2011, however, I would like to be more involved with other human beings. Specifically, more human beings in the art community. I'm thinking of taking a drawing class or a creative writing class. A friend and I are talking about setting up a writing group. There are more craft nights in the works! I'd like to go to more poetry readings, art openings, and to see more live music. With all of the reflecting and creating that I'm doing while alone, I think I could benefit from allowing those thoughts and creations to bloom amongst other cretive minds.

No comments:

Post a Comment