Monday, April 15, 2013

27th Movement


#15/30


I stand before you today as the 27th movement in a symphony of providence;
An exquisite opus played to sold out crowds, evoking awe and bringing forth tears
Stirring idle artists to new endeavors, transforming lives. I am the climax in a romantic movie.
I am stage presence; I am the only thing in the room when the lights go down.
I am not merely a result of my own virtue; I did not
Get here on my own.
I exist because of measure after measure of the right notes at the right time.
I am the result of decades of cracked instruments, bleeding fingers and imperfections reworked
I was born when a geniuses’ sweaty midnight inspiration
Exploded following weeks of ashen stagnation
I rose from hard work and fate mixed with mere chance;
Here in equal parts because of hours of finger bleeding practice
And because of notation written well and skillfully taught.
I emerged  from musicians with the right style of talent
Brought together on delicate instruments and led
By a conductor who was born with a tempo where blood should have been.
I am an audience willing to listen, a critic with a kind ear and supportive words.
I am a work of art that can only be played under the right circumstances; I am a tune
That’s forgotten when favor declines.
I am a masterpiece that concludes when fortune expires.  

3 comments:

  1. I like the confidence and the tone here. I like the variety of things "I am" at the beginning, but it seems in the middle the music metaphors reign. I wonder what the poem would look like if it were all variety, or all music - or perhaps much longer sections of both, music sandwiched by variety, slam-length since this is a poem that begs to be delivered from the stage, with one last music metaphor at the end? Follow your heart at any rate and thanks for the invigorating read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely see it as needing to be performed. What IS slam-length, anyway?

      Delete
  2. Three minutes or less is the usual limit in slams, and the rule in PSI events. Usually with a ten second grace period.

    ReplyDelete