Sunday, April 20, 2014

What Do You Do That Makes You Invisible?

I’ve always had the echoing refrain,
“Let me not be a burden” bouncing
From wall to wall in every corner of my brain.
Let me sit over here so I don’t
Infringe on your personal space;
Let me move out of the way
Instead of “playing Chicken” on the sidewalk;
Let me lose weight so I don’t
Take up as much room on the planet;
Let me be invisible, if that’s what it takes.

“Let me not be a burden,” but to what end?
What waste have I created by letting myself
Act as less than I am? Even when I become lighter
Or farther away, I still exist, and with less of me
There is less to give. “Let me not be a burden,”
By blowing up and wearing neon lights
And a sandwich board that brightly declares,
“You are worth it, I’m out here for you.”

From: http://nicolehomer.tumblr.com/post/83259422617/15-30-niprowrimo-or-mr-cellopohane

No comments:

Post a Comment