Monday, January 21, 2013

Imprint

Between a visit from Bryan Roessel, a date who likes poetry, open mic nights and a poet roommate I'm been inspired...almost pushed...to write more. Lately it seems that words and ideas form mostt often while I''m running. This one developed yesterday and I actually got the courage to share it with Rafael and get some feedback. Here's what I've got so far:

Imprint


There’s a wide spread belief that one will always be emotionally attached
To the first person they sleep with; that the hormones and the vulnerability
Will imprint on us like ducks on their ducklings and we will follow
Our first partner blindly, in line, never asking questions, never forgetting.

The same could be said for feelings. I shed the only three emotions I’d ever known:
Anxiety, sadness and anger. I was naked without them when you walked in.
You said I looked genuine and beautiful
And asked me to stay undressed.

It started on the Valentine’s Day when we ate the heart shaped pizza in my kitchen.
I laughed at your jokes but never  because I was nervous.
We went to a poetry reading and the poems were so beautiful that we cried.
I’d never cried over a poem before.

I fell in love with you, not because of the pizza or the poems or
Your brilliant blue eyes sharing tears like a cold shower in the desert.
I fell in love with you because you were with me the first time
I felt something other than numb. 

No comments:

Post a Comment